Welcome to Bennett's World: a collection of articles and references covering a wide variety of topics in which I am involved. I am a very political person but I have no allegiance to any political party. Follow me on twitter @colinhove

Thursday, August 07, 2014

Two news stories that have come across my desktop

Here are some recent stories that you might have missed:

From Wikileaks is a transcript of a report on the record-long detention sentences given to prisoners, sometimes minors, in Sweden:

http://wlcentral.org/node/2955

We grew up with the knowledge that Sweden was one of the fairest and most open societies on Earth. Is this still the case? This story would indicate not. Quite apart from any other considerations, Julian Assange is fearful that if he were arraigned in Sweden he would be kept in communicado in jail with not even access to a lawyer. This is not a fanciful fear.

Glenn Greenwald recently tweeted my attention towards this article on his new organisation, The Intercept. It is about the Obama administration's expansion of the dreaded 'Terrorist watch list.'

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/07/23/blacklisted/

Communications from Glenn Greenwald are always worth reading. This article was co-authored by Jeremy Scahill, whose writing I very much enjoy. He talks a mile a minute but very clearly so I am able to hear him still

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home